One of the leading texts in the field, Tourism Management is the ideal introduction to the fundamentals of tourism as you study for a degree, diploma or single module in the subject with a global focus. It is written in an engaging style that assumes no prior knowledge of tourism and builds up your understanding as you progress through this wide-ranging global review of the principles of managing tourism. It traces the evolution and future development of tourism and the challenges facing tourism managers in this fast-growing sector of the world economy. This book is highly illustrated with diagrams and colour images, and contains short case studies of contemporary themes of interest, as well as new data, statistics, weblinks to key reports and industry studies.
This 6th edition has been revised and updated to include:
• new content on: sports, festivals and event tourism, including the impact of the Olympic Games, social media impacts on tourism and the growth of medical tourism
• contemporary issues affecting businesses, such as disruptive technology, the rise of Airbnb, the impact of terrorism on destination instability and safety, and the potential effect of BREXIT
• updated case studies on BRIC markets and an enhanced focus on Asia as well as emerging markets such as the Middle East and South America
• enhanced sustainable development coverage highlighting the challenge of climate change and future tourism growth, including new debates such as Last Chance
Tourism and overtourism
• a transport section with more international perspectives from China and South America and globalized transport operators, and a case study on using taxation to limit air travel behaviour
• an updated companion website with: additional case studies, quizzes, PPTs, further reading, web reading and video links.